Look well to a matter
Look well to a matter by Bill Benson
We would like to believe that everyone is looking out for our best interests that we don’t really have to do out homework. That we don’t have to be diligent in what we do and we can just float along through life.
I am part of a conservation trails organization called Friends of Monument Preserve. We became aware this winter that oil and gas drilling was proposed in our neighborhood. While we on the surface we opposed this event we really did not know much about it.
It became apparent to me that I was going to need to do some research. It was time to do some digging. I volunteered to write a one-page fact sheet. Well, what started out as one page turned into 12 and I now know more than I want to.
The oil and gas industry has gained political influence by controlling the regulatory bodies that are suppose to monitor it. In doing so, it has all but eliminated oversight. With the industry only looking out for it’s own interests it has developed a system where toxic chemicals are pumped into the ground with out much concern for drinking water and the long-term impact of those chemicals on health. I would not have learned this if I had not been diligent in doing my research.
I have been reading a chapter of proverbs each day and am amazed at how proverbs just jump into my life and are applicable to what is relevant in my life. This situation brings to mind Proverbs 14:15 The Naive believe everything but a wise man looks well into a matter.
It brings to mind the importance of being diligent and persevering in what you are doing. “The hand of the diligent will rule, but the slack hand will be put to forced labor “ Proverbs 12:24.
We would like to believe that everyone is looking out for our best interests that we don’t really have to do out homework. That we don’t have to be diligent in what we do and we can just float along through life.
I am part of a conservation trails organization called Friends of Monument Preserve. We became aware this winter that oil and gas drilling was proposed in our neighborhood. While we on the surface we opposed this event we really did not know much about it.
It became apparent to me that I was going to need to do some research. It was time to do some digging. I volunteered to write a one-page fact sheet. Well, what started out as one page turned into 12 and I now know more than I want to.
The oil and gas industry has gained political influence by controlling the regulatory bodies that are suppose to monitor it. In doing so, it has all but eliminated oversight. With the industry only looking out for it’s own interests it has developed a system where toxic chemicals are pumped into the ground with out much concern for drinking water and the long-term impact of those chemicals on health. I would not have learned this if I had not been diligent in doing my research.
I have been reading a chapter of proverbs each day and am amazed at how proverbs just jump into my life and are applicable to what is relevant in my life. This situation brings to mind Proverbs 14:15 The Naive believe everything but a wise man looks well into a matter.
It brings to mind the importance of being diligent and persevering in what you are doing. “The hand of the diligent will rule, but the slack hand will be put to forced labor “ Proverbs 12:24.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home